Statement of Service in Lieu of DD 214

Did you know that you can obtain a Statement of Service (SOS) letter from your commanding officer to start utilizing your veterans preference during the federal application process, even prior to your separation?



I am currently on active duty and will not get my DD 214 until I am separated or retired. Is there any other official documentation that I can submit with an application package in lieu of the DD 214 to verify that I am eligible for Veterans’ preference or one of the special hiring authorities for Veterans?

A. Yes – You can request a Statement of Service through your Military Personnel Office. The Statement of Service will need to list your dates of military service, character of service, and expected date of separation. If you have been awarded a service-connected disability rating from your branch of military service, include the disability rating in your Statement of Service.

Feel free to email us to request a sample Statement of Service letter: